Skip to main content

Notes on the Milan vs. Barca First Leg match


Yesterday night’s trump card match at San Siro was amazing. True, the score line remained without any goals added to it, but then, I’m sure that many will agree with me when I say that it was the most exciting 0-0 in the history of football.

Allegri finally got his tactics right (unlike against Arsenal at the Emirates), and I can see what his plan was. He didn’t want to concede an away goal, and ideally would’ve wanted Milan to score. But then, as I say, our world is far from perfect. The next thing to do would try toscore an early goal in the Camp Nou and try to hold Barca off for as long as possible. Even a draw with goals in it would be enough for Milan to get through. It’s a very risky tactic. But it paid off, thanks no less, to some brilliant moments from the Milan defence.

Jose Mourinho tried to do the same last season with Real Madrid against Barca in the semis. But his plan was foiled by a despicable act by Dani Alves, which resulted in Pepe being sent off. The match was 0-0 then, at the Bernabeu, but Barca made the man advantage count. His tactic proved right, as Real Madrid drew 1-1 at the Camp Nou.

Now if Milan can pull this off, it will be one of the greatest feats in its illustrious history. Nobody expect them to eliminate Barca, least of all, Arsene Wenger.

I await the arrival of April 3rd with some expectations and thrill.

Now to some of the details that deserved to be mentioned.
  1. ·         First of all, the man masquerading as Luca Antonini was not Luca Antonini. I don’t have conclusive proof, but I think the people at Milan Lab have perfected a way to transplant Maldini into Antonini’s body. Never did I even in my wildest dreams imagine that Antonini was capable of the heroics he performed yesterday. Well done man, you deserved the “Man of the Match” award. 
  2. The penalty call. Yes, it was a penalty (a soft one), but I’m sure all Chelsea fans will agree with me on this – Karma is a bitch. And there is still a lot of Karma that Barca are yet to face. 
  3.  We got to see some vintage Nesta on the field. Threw at least 5 years into the past. Even at this age, he remains the greatest centre half in the world (and probably of all time too). 
  4. Though the whole world frills on Messi and his abilities, it has always been Xavi who pulls the strings. If only Andrea Pirlo was operating in this role for Milan. Alas! 
  5. You need to press Barca and don’t let them pass their way into the net. Constant, tireless pressing. And when you have the ball, don’t hoof it. It will only mean Barca coming back again. Try and keep the ball, like they do. 
  6. Ibrahimovic is a big game flop (as ever). But I expected him to give his former employers the stick. Robinho – what is it with him, Barca and missing gaping goal scoring opportunities? Enter Shaarawy, exit Robinho. 
  7. Dani Alves, Mascherano and Busquets are as much a disgrace to Barcelona as Messi, Xavi and Iniesta are symbols of pride. The very sight of Busquets disgusts me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dastoor

As one might have observed from my recent posts, I have been listening to or reading a lot of poems from poets in Pakistan. I promise that my intention behind this is not to receive that treasured 'anti-national' tag. One poet that I have developed a special liking is Habib Jalib. A compatriot of Faiz Ahmed Faiz, who has received more global fame, Jalib was an avowed champion of the people. He was a staunch opponent of Ayub Khan and Zia-ul-Haq, both army generals who overthrew the elected Pakistani government. However, he also spoke out against state oppression. It is reflective of the sad state of affairs that India is in today that most of Jalib's poems seem to be very contextual. I have already posted one of his poem's, "Zulmat ko Zia" in a previous post. (http://amritkosaraju.blogspot.in/2016/02/zulmat-ko-zia.html) Another of Jalib's famous poems is called "Dastoor", which can be translated as constitution. Here it goes... Dastoor

Zulmat ko Zia

I have always had a fascination with the Urdu language. Having lived in Hyderabad my entire life, I have found this language to be very beautiful and having a natural poetic sound to it, the way Italian supposedly has. Due to this fascination, I have taken a liking to songs, ghazals and qawwalis that are sung in Urdu. Naturally, I have come across numerous Pakistani artists. One such artist is Habib Jalib, the "poet of the people". One of my favourite poems of Jalib is "Zulmat ko Zia". When Zia ul Haq seized power via a coup, Jalib wrote this poem. The word "Zia" in Urdu means light. Using this, Jalib writes, "How can I call this darkness as light?" Over the past month or so, due to obvious reasons, this poem has become even more dear to me. I shall post the lyrics and translation of the poem. Pakistani band "Laal" adapted the poem into the form of a song. I shall also post a link to the song. Lyrics "Haq baat

Kuch Ishq Kiya, Kuch Kaam Kiya

The following is a poem by Faiz Ahmed Faiz. I don't really know why (maybe it's my sweet spot for Urdu), but I like it very much. Kuch Ishq Kiya, Kuch Kaam Kiya Woh log bahut khush kismat thay Jo ishq ko kaam samajhte thay Ya kaam se aashiqui karte thay Hum jeete’ji masroof rahe Kuchh ishq kiya, kuchh kaam kiya Kaam ishq ke aa’re aata raha Aur ishq se kaam ulajhta raha Phir aakhir tang aakar ham ne Dono'n ko adhoora chhor diya Translation: Fortunate were those people Who thought of love as their work Or were in love with their work I was busy my whole life I loved a little and worked a little Work came in the way of love And love interfered with work Finally, fed up I left both incomplete