Skip to main content

OLD AGE

Living with a 75+ year old man who has nothing but demented memories and paranoia has got me thinking a lot about old age. Is it worth living so long, when all you serve to do is be sad and make the people around you (the ones who love you and care for you) feel sad and haunt them?

All that my grandfather seems to think is that his wife, me and my family have some sort of grudge against him and want to kill him. I do not know how he came to that conclusion. While my grandmother takes care of him everyday, helping him even in the smallest and simplest of matters, he sees her being evil.

An idle mind is a devil's workshop, they say. I have come to realise that this is indeed an excellent saying. Having lost his sight due to glaucoma,  he can do nothing but lie on his bed all day. Lack of exercise (mental and physical) seems to have eroded all his memories and they have been replaced by false memories, which apparently depict us as the antagonists.

Before he turned this way, he was a respectable man. He had taught in a government school for many years, more than 30 I believe. His pension is of a huge amount, which can support a middle class family on its own. Instead of living in peace, which is what old age is supposed to be, he makes life difficult for himself and for those around him too.

Of course, there are old people who are self sufficient and live better than people half their age do. But then there are these others, who - pardon me for saying this - make you despise old people.

After seeing him behave like this for almost a year, I seem to have lost all respect for him. I have almost reached a point when I cannot even stand the sight of him. And the worst part is, nobody will remember him as the respectable school teacher who dedicated his life educating rural children. He will be remembered as a fussy, demented old man who made things very hard for everyone, including himself.

A song by the band Black Sabbath strikes my mind. It's title. Die Young.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dastoor

As one might have observed from my recent posts, I have been listening to or reading a lot of poems from poets in Pakistan. I promise that my intention behind this is not to receive that treasured 'anti-national' tag. One poet that I have developed a special liking is Habib Jalib. A compatriot of Faiz Ahmed Faiz, who has received more global fame, Jalib was an avowed champion of the people. He was a staunch opponent of Ayub Khan and Zia-ul-Haq, both army generals who overthrew the elected Pakistani government. However, he also spoke out against state oppression. It is reflective of the sad state of affairs that India is in today that most of Jalib's poems seem to be very contextual. I have already posted one of his poem's, "Zulmat ko Zia" in a previous post. (http://amritkosaraju.blogspot.in/2016/02/zulmat-ko-zia.html) Another of Jalib's famous poems is called "Dastoor", which can be translated as constitution. Here it goes... Dastoor

Zulmat ko Zia

I have always had a fascination with the Urdu language. Having lived in Hyderabad my entire life, I have found this language to be very beautiful and having a natural poetic sound to it, the way Italian supposedly has. Due to this fascination, I have taken a liking to songs, ghazals and qawwalis that are sung in Urdu. Naturally, I have come across numerous Pakistani artists. One such artist is Habib Jalib, the "poet of the people". One of my favourite poems of Jalib is "Zulmat ko Zia". When Zia ul Haq seized power via a coup, Jalib wrote this poem. The word "Zia" in Urdu means light. Using this, Jalib writes, "How can I call this darkness as light?" Over the past month or so, due to obvious reasons, this poem has become even more dear to me. I shall post the lyrics and translation of the poem. Pakistani band "Laal" adapted the poem into the form of a song. I shall also post a link to the song. Lyrics "Haq baat

Kuch Ishq Kiya, Kuch Kaam Kiya

The following is a poem by Faiz Ahmed Faiz. I don't really know why (maybe it's my sweet spot for Urdu), but I like it very much. Kuch Ishq Kiya, Kuch Kaam Kiya Woh log bahut khush kismat thay Jo ishq ko kaam samajhte thay Ya kaam se aashiqui karte thay Hum jeete’ji masroof rahe Kuchh ishq kiya, kuchh kaam kiya Kaam ishq ke aa’re aata raha Aur ishq se kaam ulajhta raha Phir aakhir tang aakar ham ne Dono'n ko adhoora chhor diya Translation: Fortunate were those people Who thought of love as their work Or were in love with their work I was busy my whole life I loved a little and worked a little Work came in the way of love And love interfered with work Finally, fed up I left both incomplete