Skip to main content

LACK OF A SUSTAINED LOVE INTEREST

No, my dear reader, I am not going to bore you with details of how my personal life has been dulled due to the lack of a sustained love interest. I am quite certain you already know enough people who do that. But if you came here led to believe that I was going to do so and interested to hear what I had to say, I am sorry to disappoint.

In fact, I am going to discuss how the lack of a sustained love interest can make life better... albeit for TV shows (sitcoms to be more specific) and their characters (and for the networks too). If you do not possess a reasonable amount of information on sitcoms, I advise you to stop reading on.



Almost every sitcom's cast is made up of characters that include various stereotypes. This of course, is understandable. It is much easier to produce situations that can generate laughter by including stereotypes. We see many cultural, gender based and racial stereotypes, mostly - but not exclusively - for the purpose of comic relief.

What spoils most sitcoms for me is the presence of a sustained love interest for the protagonist. If the protagonist finds himself (once again, I request you to consider "he", "him", etc, to cater to all genders) in a durable and prolonged relationship, I feel that the character's story line becomes very limited and predictable.

There are only so many situations that can arise if the protagonist is in a long term relationship. Yes, the possibilities are infinite, but most of them are just sideways, backwards or slightly altered versions of a handful of possible outcomes - break up, make up (sex), jealousy and the eventual unification or parting of ways. There have been so many sitcoms exploring these already limited possibilities, there is now even less space left of creativity and innovation.

Let us use the American sitcom Friends (or F.R.I.E.N.D.S) as a guinea pig to test out my theory. The most irritating and painfully obvious character is Ross. You know that eventually, he is going to bounce back to square one (i.e Rachel). He might stray, but will return.

Chandler probably was my favourite character of the "Friends". Before they (the creators/ writers/ network executives) decided to hook him up with Monica. From then on, Chandler also became a boring character. Thankfully, not as much as Ross, though.

By the time the series came to an end, I felt that Joey was by far, the best and most interesting character and probably because his character developed the least over the nine seasons. He still is what he was - an outrageously poor actor who can woo any woman by saying "How you doin'?"

Three of my favourite TV shows all lack a sustained love interest - "Seinfeld", "Sherlock" and "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia". I shall not discuss Sherlock in this post as the subject here is sitcom shows.

It's fun, alright.


In both Seinfeld and Sunny, no character is predictable. This, in part at least, is down to the lack of a sustained love interest.

By the word predictable, I am referring to the characters' story line. Sure, Kramer is still going to be a hipster doofus who will mooch food from Jerry. But you don't know if he decides to be a nudist or a lion whisperer. With Ross, you know this is NEVER gonna be possible.

Some people might argue that the "waitress" from Sunny is a sustained love interest for Charlie. Yes, I agree. Intentionally or otherwise, the writers do not curse us with he presence in every episode. She appears maybe two times in every season and more importantly, she is not in a relationship with Charlie. Never has been and you get the feeling, never will be.

You could also argue the same about Susan and George (in Seinfeld). I admit I found those few episodes rather disappointing. But, George trying to get out of her web and how it all came to an end more than made up for it all.

So, people, don't limit your characters by throwing them into a long term relationship.

Oh, and I should say, these thoughts apply to TV shows and probably not in real life. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dastoor

As one might have observed from my recent posts, I have been listening to or reading a lot of poems from poets in Pakistan. I promise that my intention behind this is not to receive that treasured 'anti-national' tag. One poet that I have developed a special liking is Habib Jalib. A compatriot of Faiz Ahmed Faiz, who has received more global fame, Jalib was an avowed champion of the people. He was a staunch opponent of Ayub Khan and Zia-ul-Haq, both army generals who overthrew the elected Pakistani government. However, he also spoke out against state oppression. It is reflective of the sad state of affairs that India is in today that most of Jalib's poems seem to be very contextual. I have already posted one of his poem's, "Zulmat ko Zia" in a previous post. (http://amritkosaraju.blogspot.in/2016/02/zulmat-ko-zia.html) Another of Jalib's famous poems is called "Dastoor", which can be translated as constitution. Here it goes... Dastoor

Zulmat ko Zia

I have always had a fascination with the Urdu language. Having lived in Hyderabad my entire life, I have found this language to be very beautiful and having a natural poetic sound to it, the way Italian supposedly has. Due to this fascination, I have taken a liking to songs, ghazals and qawwalis that are sung in Urdu. Naturally, I have come across numerous Pakistani artists. One such artist is Habib Jalib, the "poet of the people". One of my favourite poems of Jalib is "Zulmat ko Zia". When Zia ul Haq seized power via a coup, Jalib wrote this poem. The word "Zia" in Urdu means light. Using this, Jalib writes, "How can I call this darkness as light?" Over the past month or so, due to obvious reasons, this poem has become even more dear to me. I shall post the lyrics and translation of the poem. Pakistani band "Laal" adapted the poem into the form of a song. I shall also post a link to the song. Lyrics "Haq baat

Kuch Ishq Kiya, Kuch Kaam Kiya

The following is a poem by Faiz Ahmed Faiz. I don't really know why (maybe it's my sweet spot for Urdu), but I like it very much. Kuch Ishq Kiya, Kuch Kaam Kiya Woh log bahut khush kismat thay Jo ishq ko kaam samajhte thay Ya kaam se aashiqui karte thay Hum jeete’ji masroof rahe Kuchh ishq kiya, kuchh kaam kiya Kaam ishq ke aa’re aata raha Aur ishq se kaam ulajhta raha Phir aakhir tang aakar ham ne Dono'n ko adhoora chhor diya Translation: Fortunate were those people Who thought of love as their work Or were in love with their work I was busy my whole life I loved a little and worked a little Work came in the way of love And love interfered with work Finally, fed up I left both incomplete