Skip to main content

On cinema

I generally avoid writing about films because I realise not everyone is interested in them (and even few are probably interested in the type of films that I like), but I just could not resist the urge to do so this time.

1) The Theory of Everything



A very enjoyable film, but what I want to discuss is the treatment of the lead character (Stephen Hawking) by the makers. If this movie had been made in India, I am quite sure that the people in charge would have had a field a day exploiting the hurdles that the character faced. Instead of humanising Hawking, they would have victimised him. Among the many things I dislike about Indian cinema, one of them is that the makers always seem to be hell-bent on (and derive some sort of sadistic pleasure from) evoking tears from the audience with melodrama and over-sentimentality.

Another difference I noticed between Indian and foreign cinema is the way they treat intensely dramatic scenes. For example, in The Theory of Everything, the pivotal scene (spoiler alert?) is the one in which Hawking loses the ability to use his legs. In this movie, there is no usage of sound (dialogue, background music, ambient sound - anything), which kind of creates an eerie silence that signifies the importance of the scene. This can be observed in pivotal scenes in many other movies and TV series too.

Now imagine if an Indian filmmaker was at the helm. The scene would be melodramatic. Show it from four or five angles, throw in a couple of slow motion sequences for good measure. And the background music.. it would be full of overtly dramatic "aaaa'' stuff that supposedly evokes the emotions in the audience.

Needless to say, the foreign way is not just more powerful, but also graceful.

There has been a surge of biopics in Bollywood lately. I have not watched all of them, but the one I watched (Bhaag Milkha Bhaag) was so predictable and overflowing with melodrama that I just couldn't go through with it. I hope filmmakers watch movies like The Theory of Everything and The Imitation Game and learn a few tricks.


2) Nightcrawler



Only just watched this movie and was completely blown away. Apart from the inventive story line, what I found to be outstanding about this movie was the language used by the lead character "Lou" (Jake Gyllenhaal). Lou speaks in corporate babble (the one that George Carlin hated and ridiculed so well) - which he presumably picked up from an online business course. But Lou is not a sophisticated white collar 'crony capitalist'. He is a simple thief, one who learns that there is money to be earnt by selling graphic videos to news channels who want to have better ratings.

By putting this corporate babble on an "actual" thief instead of some prick in a suit with an MBA degree, the film makes it apparent just how threatening and inhumane this corporate language is.

Lou blackmails a woman (the news producer for the 'vampire shift') to sleep with him or threatens to take his work to a competitor with typical bullshitting language. Without leaving her pretty much any choice to make, he says, "That's your choice." Sure, corporates do not blackmail women to sleep with them (only their executives do that. If that fails, there are always prostitutes), but you get the analogy. If you (a person, a community, a company or even a nation) stand in the way of a corporate and do not give them or let them have what they want, they will not stop until you are in between a rock and a hard place and take what they want anyway.

Not only does Lou possess a good grip of this corporate language, but he also has the ruthlessness that is typical of any corporate. When his 'partner' becomes too greedy, he literally leaves him for the dead, even filming his death. He justifies this by saying, "I cannot jeopardize my company's success to retain an untrustworthy employee".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dastoor

As one might have observed from my recent posts, I have been listening to or reading a lot of poems from poets in Pakistan. I promise that my intention behind this is not to receive that treasured 'anti-national' tag. One poet that I have developed a special liking is Habib Jalib. A compatriot of Faiz Ahmed Faiz, who has received more global fame, Jalib was an avowed champion of the people. He was a staunch opponent of Ayub Khan and Zia-ul-Haq, both army generals who overthrew the elected Pakistani government. However, he also spoke out against state oppression. It is reflective of the sad state of affairs that India is in today that most of Jalib's poems seem to be very contextual. I have already posted one of his poem's, "Zulmat ko Zia" in a previous post. (http://amritkosaraju.blogspot.in/2016/02/zulmat-ko-zia.html) Another of Jalib's famous poems is called "Dastoor", which can be translated as constitution. Here it goes... Dastoor

Zulmat ko Zia

I have always had a fascination with the Urdu language. Having lived in Hyderabad my entire life, I have found this language to be very beautiful and having a natural poetic sound to it, the way Italian supposedly has. Due to this fascination, I have taken a liking to songs, ghazals and qawwalis that are sung in Urdu. Naturally, I have come across numerous Pakistani artists. One such artist is Habib Jalib, the "poet of the people". One of my favourite poems of Jalib is "Zulmat ko Zia". When Zia ul Haq seized power via a coup, Jalib wrote this poem. The word "Zia" in Urdu means light. Using this, Jalib writes, "How can I call this darkness as light?" Over the past month or so, due to obvious reasons, this poem has become even more dear to me. I shall post the lyrics and translation of the poem. Pakistani band "Laal" adapted the poem into the form of a song. I shall also post a link to the song. Lyrics "Haq baat

Kuch Ishq Kiya, Kuch Kaam Kiya

The following is a poem by Faiz Ahmed Faiz. I don't really know why (maybe it's my sweet spot for Urdu), but I like it very much. Kuch Ishq Kiya, Kuch Kaam Kiya Woh log bahut khush kismat thay Jo ishq ko kaam samajhte thay Ya kaam se aashiqui karte thay Hum jeete’ji masroof rahe Kuchh ishq kiya, kuchh kaam kiya Kaam ishq ke aa’re aata raha Aur ishq se kaam ulajhta raha Phir aakhir tang aakar ham ne Dono'n ko adhoora chhor diya Translation: Fortunate were those people Who thought of love as their work Or were in love with their work I was busy my whole life I loved a little and worked a little Work came in the way of love And love interfered with work Finally, fed up I left both incomplete