Skip to main content

Let's Celebrate Our Shitty Situation

The legendary status of infrastructure in Indian cities is well established. Every time there's a heavy rainfall, the streets get clogged. Everyday during peak hours, the roads are chaotic madness. The problems are endless, so it would be unwise to list them all here.

A few days ago, there was a heavy rainfall in Hyderabad, my home town. And as expected, the roads were flooded. Then, this photo became viral on social media. 


(The tweeter here is a well known former cricketer hailing from Hyderabad.)

I have found many instances where people seem to be inspired by "perseverance" of authorities or common people or the poor and disadvantaged. Is there really anything to be proud of in this picture? I mean, yes, the traffic police deserves to be commended for doing his job wading through knee deep water. But instead of simply commending him, shouldn't we, as citizens, demand that the state (when I say state, I am referring to the government, not any party that has formed the government) provide better infrastructure?

Shouldn't we ensure that rains do not disrupt the normality so that traffic police would not be forced to do their duties under such hazardous conditions (don't forget that there are many open manholes on the roads, into which a traffic policeman could easily fall)? As an added bonus, as commuters, we wouldn't face congestion either.

I find this idea of praising someone for having to do their job under extenuating circumstances perverse. On the face of it, it seems like harmless praise. But when explored further, a more sinister motive can be seen.

Earlier this year, a boy from a financially marginalised family was able to crack that holy grail of Indian education, the IIT entrance exam. His father sells samosas to make a living. News was abuzz with headlines such as "Samosa seller's son cracks IIT-JEE". Here, his "perseverance" is being praised. But the real message is meant for other marginalised people. "If he can do it, why can't you?"

The fact that this achievement is so highly praised means only one thing. That the state has failed in it's responsibility to guarantee every citizen the right to education. These articles should be identifying systemic failures instead of snidely hailing perseverance and urging marginalised people to try harder. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dastoor

As one might have observed from my recent posts, I have been listening to or reading a lot of poems from poets in Pakistan. I promise that my intention behind this is not to receive that treasured 'anti-national' tag. One poet that I have developed a special liking is Habib Jalib. A compatriot of Faiz Ahmed Faiz, who has received more global fame, Jalib was an avowed champion of the people. He was a staunch opponent of Ayub Khan and Zia-ul-Haq, both army generals who overthrew the elected Pakistani government. However, he also spoke out against state oppression. It is reflective of the sad state of affairs that India is in today that most of Jalib's poems seem to be very contextual. I have already posted one of his poem's, "Zulmat ko Zia" in a previous post. (http://amritkosaraju.blogspot.in/2016/02/zulmat-ko-zia.html) Another of Jalib's famous poems is called "Dastoor", which can be translated as constitution. Here it goes... Dastoor

Zulmat ko Zia

I have always had a fascination with the Urdu language. Having lived in Hyderabad my entire life, I have found this language to be very beautiful and having a natural poetic sound to it, the way Italian supposedly has. Due to this fascination, I have taken a liking to songs, ghazals and qawwalis that are sung in Urdu. Naturally, I have come across numerous Pakistani artists. One such artist is Habib Jalib, the "poet of the people". One of my favourite poems of Jalib is "Zulmat ko Zia". When Zia ul Haq seized power via a coup, Jalib wrote this poem. The word "Zia" in Urdu means light. Using this, Jalib writes, "How can I call this darkness as light?" Over the past month or so, due to obvious reasons, this poem has become even more dear to me. I shall post the lyrics and translation of the poem. Pakistani band "Laal" adapted the poem into the form of a song. I shall also post a link to the song. Lyrics "Haq baat

Kuch Ishq Kiya, Kuch Kaam Kiya

The following is a poem by Faiz Ahmed Faiz. I don't really know why (maybe it's my sweet spot for Urdu), but I like it very much. Kuch Ishq Kiya, Kuch Kaam Kiya Woh log bahut khush kismat thay Jo ishq ko kaam samajhte thay Ya kaam se aashiqui karte thay Hum jeete’ji masroof rahe Kuchh ishq kiya, kuchh kaam kiya Kaam ishq ke aa’re aata raha Aur ishq se kaam ulajhta raha Phir aakhir tang aakar ham ne Dono'n ko adhoora chhor diya Translation: Fortunate were those people Who thought of love as their work Or were in love with their work I was busy my whole life I loved a little and worked a little Work came in the way of love And love interfered with work Finally, fed up I left both incomplete